26 April 2013

A story behind a bra container.

How would you respond if God tells you to say something to someone whom you barely know? 

I was checking some sale items at a mall and found bra containers which was on sale.   I thought that I could use it during overnights with friends and when travelling so I decided to buy one though I was really cost cutting.  While choosing between purple and pink, I got reminded of this young lady who used purple design during craft time on our alabaster brunch event. She said that purple was a sign of royalty.  But after half an hour of thinking (that long! Yeah - that's me) which is which, I chose pink.  Yey! A bra container for only $xxx! 

On my way home, I felt like God was telling me to give the item that I bought to that young lady in church and tell her that she is special and loved. I doubted if I really hear from God or its only me. I never really approach someone before and tell them that "This is what the Lord says", I thought its creepy. I ignore the thought but reaching home it got me thinking. "What if she thinks I am a lesbian if I give it to her?" (crazy me!) "Lord, she looks so happy and fine.", "We are not close friends.", "How would she react if I say those things to her?" "What if the word does not make any sense to her?" "What if she says I'm weird and creepy?" Besides it took me half an hour to choose this item and then God will tell me to just give it away! Nahhhhhh! The word is not from God, its just me.

As I was laying down and reading Rick Warren's devotion, I was totally in goosebumps when the Scripture reading for the day was on Jeremiah 1:7 which says "You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you." It was not  a coincidence anymore. I knew it was from God. The word confirms that God wants me to give it to her.

Sunday came. I felt like it was the biggest day of my life because I'll be doing something I've never done before. I didn't see her during the service.  But I know that I could possibly see her at the Foodcourt where  almost everyone goes to have their lunch. Fear gripped me again and so I didn't do what I was told to do.

I still had with me the gift when I reached home after the service.  There was an uneasy feeling inside of me. I know I should be doing something but I didn't do it.  And so I finally gave up on myself and messaged the young lady. Thank God for technology! Immediately the uneasiness was gone and was replaced with peace.  Few days later, I saw her again in one occasion and finally gave her my "precious bra container". I prayed for her and she told me that we should hang out some other time.

I was thinking why the young lady didn't say something like "That's what I needed to hear", "I was going through some rough time and I really got encouraged". But God impressed me something - that experience was not about the young lady nor the bra container. It's about God dealing obedience and submission in my heart. My resistance of obeying Him and all those excuses in my mind shows that I was concerned of my image and reputation towards other people which keeps me from doing what God has called me to do.

I know that there will be more instances like this and I pray that this experience will be a reminder for me to stop running away from God and wholeheartedly obey Him instead.

Photo from Google 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...